Saturday, October 17, 2009

BP12_2009103_Web2.0 Evaluation_SurveyMonkey.com

I have seen SurveyMonkey on several occasions, as my school system will frequently utilize it for staff development feedback, or other matters requiring feedback from a large number of personnel in the county. I have found my first use for it in the new computer programming club I am starting at school. As we do not have such courses in our school system, I am using the online survey to get personal info, and computer interest/exoperience information from the students who have expressed interest. Although I have a particular platform in mind for helping to teach computer programming, if I don't cater to the club members' interests there will be no club. A similar welcome survey could be used in my math class setting during the first week to gather info as well as introduce students to the form of the online survey.

Getting started on a free-service survey

A survey program could serve several purposes in a classroom setting. For my math classes, an assignment that includes the accumulation of data could take advantage of such a method of data collection. SurveyMonkey's customizable templates can be suited to nearly any form of data. Surveyors can collect numerical data, demographic data, user input data, and even have users give rated feedback. The online survey could be used to reach a larger audience with less work, producing more data for a better math lesson. For the purposes of the instructor, feedback from multiple courses could be easily compiled into a single survey during a given time window. The instructor merely has to make the survey available to those being surveyed.

Sample survey page: demographic information

images from http://www.monkeysurvey.com

1 comment:

  1. I've also found SurveyMonkey to be a great Web 2.0 tool. I'm glad you are using it to find out the interests/experience from your students in the computer programing club. You had mentioned to me in an email last class session that you were having some trouble getting kids involved in the club. Hope this survey has helped some. I'm also using it as part of my action research to find student interests in relation to art. I think the survey will give me a better picture as to what the majority of students will be interested in learning. The great thing about SurveyMonkey is that it compiles the results for you. I love that part!

    ReplyDelete